Strawberry Singh, a longtime SL blogger- fashion maven- photographer- and all around really wonderfully creative person, puts out memes every week as challenges. Considering the whole reason I blog is to give/make myself continue to write and have a creative outlet that isn’t prim slinging, I thought this was a great one for me to put my .02 in the bucket.
Before I get to my answers, though, I want to share a few of her links as well on the subject of blogging. I feel she has always gone to great lengths to share her knowledge, thoughts, expertise, and just general kindness in the blogsphere. She’s the best, in my opinion, and not because she crawled up over the backs of others but because she is witty, talented, funny, and above all, helpful. She’s not out to keep her secrets to herself- she shares her triumphs and failures equally. What a great lady.
First on her list is a simple Fashion Blogging 101 where she goes through the ins and outs of hosting, traffic, credit and general survival tips.
Going into further detail, she posted an excellent site for the more “Professional Blogger” with advertisements, plugins, self-hosting and more on her I think, Therefore I Blog! post.
Another link for bloggers whether you’re just starting out or just want to keep up on the latest tips, trends and suggestions is the SL Blogger Support blog. You can apply to be part of the blog as well as just follow it. Lots of resources and tutorials.
And now, on with the Meme.
1. How long have you been blogging? I started my SL blog in October of 2011. I had been asked to be a judge in the Miss Virtual World 2012 contest and I had been burning out on SL in a big way. I was tired of the same old, same old and wanted something different. I have always enjoyed writing and was looking to kickstart my own creativity. I have been on Flickr for yeaaaars and was even starting to burn out on photography which has been a passion of mine in the real world since I can remember. So I decided to put the two together and see if I could keep myself going and do something I enjoy.
2. Why did you start blogging? I kinda started to answer this one already. I chose to blog particularly about the things I do because there aren’t a lot of blogs in the SL Fashion world that are focused on the kinds of things I wear, like, and enjoy. Most fashion bloggers blog everything they receive from creators. They change their appearance from photo to photo and get a kick out of reinventing themselves for each shot. I applaud the creativity- but that isn’t me. I’m a creature of extreme habit- I am who I am and that’s a tall, paleish retired goth with a penchant for tattoos, piercings, boys in eyeliner and high-heeled boots. Nancy Boy Butch, I like to call it. I have no interest in following the latest trends and keeping on top of the newest and hottest Couture. Hell, I probably even spelled that wrong. I like what I like and that’s what I want to cover.
3. How many times a week do you post an entry? That greatly depends on my Real Life job schedule. I can be out of town for several days a week every month or just a few days. I try to do at least one a week. During events, like Menswear I blog my little heart out because I signed up to be a blogger. I take my commitments very seriously. It may just be a blog, but its a commitment I made when signing up to cover items.
4. How many different blogs do you read on a regular basis? Several! Strawberry Singh though, I have to admit, is the only one I usually check daily. Again, it goes back to her general presence of being. I also check out Carthalis as regularly as I can. He’s one of the best and most creative photographers I’ve seen out there who can take a stylish photo *AND* show off the clothes in their best light.
5. Do you comment on other people’s blogs? Not very often. I should do it more considering how much I love it when people actually comment on mine! What comes around goes around, right? When I do comment, its generally to be supportive of something that was said, to thank them for posting, or generally be positive. I may rant on my own space- but I don’t think its appropriate to air your dirty laundry in someone else’s playground.
6. Do you keep track of how many visitors you have? Absolutely. I’m a vain bastard at heart. Of course, that said, I don’t go out and publish to plurk and all of the other social media worlds out there. I’m sure I would get a lot more followers and viewers if I did but I think my shyness gets the better of me sometimes. Yes, yes, the bitch is shy from time to time. I have joined several SL Blog Feeds but so far that’s all.
7. Do you ever regret a post that you wrote? Nope, just the typos that I missed. 😛
8. Do you think your readers have a true sense of who you are based on your blog? I think so. I’m fairly open and brutally blunt so there’s really little room for wonder. However, I think I come across fairly negative sometimes. I’m trying to get better about how I provide criticism to make sure its not directed at a person, but rather, at a “thing” or “trend” or particular style I don’t care for rather than “You sux0rs!”
9. Do you blog under your real name? Nope, I blog under my SL Name.
10. Are there topics you would never blog about? I hadn’t really stopped to think about this until the question was posed. I don’t … think there’s anything off limits, per say. I tend to stick to SL and those things associated with it so from a topic perspective, whatever comes up that is related that sparks my mind, I’ll yammer and babble ad nauseum about it. I suppose the only thing I’m really trying to avoid in my blog is direct insults. By that, I mean I may loathe certain trends (Like those saggy-ass, baggy mesh pants that seem to be the rage) and I will go on for days about how much I hate them… but I would never point the finger at a particular content creator and say “YOU SUCK!” Regardless of whether or not I like something doesn’t give me license to tell someone else their hard work and hours of creative detailing should be set on fire and erased from historical memory. I may think it to myself, naturally, but I’m not going to say so. Everyone is entitled to their own fashion disaste– I mean, sense.
11. What is the theme/topic of your blog? Mostly SL Fashion. I rant on the themes now and again as well.
12. Do you have more than one blog? If so, why? Nope. I had thought about making another blog for more creative storytelling and non-fashion pictures and such.. but then I realized its hard enough for me with my occasionally hectic work schedule to keep up one, forget two. Besides, then I’d be all paranoid about not getting enough traffic and my whole sense of self-worth would be in question when it didn’t get any views.
Oh.. sorry.. inside voice.
13. What have you found to be the benefits of blogging? I’ve gotten to meet and talk with new people- share ideas- go on rant sessions that are hilarious in and of themselves- find new designers and new bloggers to envy.. that kinda thing. It gives me the avenue to yammer and babble to my heart’s content which is why I set out to do this in the first place. I don’t think I’m all that and a bag of chips and I’m sure there’s more people out there who disagree with me than agree with me, but I love doing it. Its fun.
14. So, why do you continue to blog? All of the above and more. Its a growth experience I think. I look at others who do the same thing and how they do it and I look at my own and try to improve, or do it different. I’m still looking for that “signature” thing that makes a photo of mine stand out from the others. Not necessarily better, that’s not what I mean, but unique. I often look back at the bulk of the things I’ve blogged and wonder if its just mental masturbation or if people actually read it and enjoy it as much as I do writing it.
At the end of the day I suppose it doesn’t matter. I’m not a Professional Blogger- I’m not hosting adds or getting paid. I’m not getting boatloads of freebies from designers all over the grid to showcase their work. I have a few friends who are content designers (Vengeful, L&B, Rfyre) that always throw me their work but for the most part, its just a retired goth, his pocketbook, and his loud mouth.
For your enjoyment…